for ACTO membership
1. Minimum of a Diploma in Counselling gained on a UK or Irish training course that includes supervised practice and face to face counsellor/tutor contact. The Diploma must be recognised as adequate counsellor training by BACP.
If you are a psychotherapist or a psychologist, your qualification will need to be recognised by UKCP or BPS. Please contact us for advice about this if necessary.
2. Membership of a UK professional body that has an official complaints procedure (e.g. BACP) and supply proof, when renewing ACTO membership, of continuing membership of that professional body.
3. Compliance with the rules of that professional body in terms of professional indemnity insurance and ongoing supervision.
4. Acceptance of, and adherence to the ACTO Code of Ethics, which can be found here.
5. Documentary proof of your qualifications. Either scan them into your computer and send them as an attachment, or contact The Membership Secretary who will provide a postal address for you to send them to.
a) a qualification in online counselling from one of the following:
b) two years' satisfactory online practice *, supported by a statement from your supervisor who is preferably trained in online counselling.
*In accordance with the BACP ‘glossary of terms’, ACTO defines online practice as follows:
The provision of contracted counselling over the internet. Sessions are conducted via:
- email (asynchronous)
- forums (asynchronous)
- chat rooms/instant messaging (synchronous)
- Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP – online telephone services)
- Webcam (synchronous)
Proof of these will need to be submitted with your application.
ACTO offers two publicly searchable online directories; one for Therapists and another for Supervisors. Members only may also request and pay for a listing in either or both of the ACTO Directories. Details are in Section A of the Application Form. Directory listings are not available to non-members.
Annual Membership Fee is £20.
An annual listing in one Directory costs £10, annual listing in both Directories is £15.
Fees charged are non-refundable unless membership is terminated by ACTO.
The above figures apply if paying online into ACTO’s bank account (preferred method) - details at end of application form.
You may, if you prefer, pay by Google checkout (below) but we have to make a charge for this of £1 per item to cover our costs.
Please complete application form before paying!
an application form in MS Word||
an application form as a PDF file||
(If you have any problem completing the form online or with paying online please email the Membership Office)
ACTO Community Membership
We are pleased to be adding this new category of ACTO membership in the near future for non UK/Ireland trained therapists - more news to follow.